Sunday, March 4, 2007

Story w/Rav Aharon from Belz relating to Purim


I heard the following story from my rebbe.

Rav Aharon from Belz was the holiest of the holies. He survived the war through nisim and niflaos and all Chassidim and Tzadikim were afraid to approach him because of his holiness. And yet when he came to live in Eretz Yisroel, and everyone expected him to live in Yerushalayim, he instead moved to Tel Aviv. This hurt many of the Yershalmi yiddin very much, but who could say anything to Reb Are'le Belzer?!

Eventually, one of the Kano'im from Yerushalyim came to Reb Are'le and asked, "B'mechilas kvodo, why have you moved to Tel Aviv, the city of Tumah? The only thing one sees here are goyim!"

Reb Are'le was shocked and taken aback. He responded, "These Jews that you call 'goyim," they give me so much simcha. When I am walking down the street, I think that the people I see are goyim. They look like goyim. And then when they get closer they say, "Shalom alecha rebbe!" And then I see that they really are Yiddin! It gives me so much simcha. Moshiach is coming soon and when he does, they will sound the shofar, and all of those Yiddin that you call 'goyim' are going to rip off their goyishe costumes and run to welcome Moshiach.

That was Rav Are'le.

May we be zoche this Purim to see through the sometimes scary costumes and masks of the Jews around us to the true Yiddin inside!

-Dixie Yid

No comments: