Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Another Very Enlightening Interview with Rabbi Dov Lipman

Following up on yesterday's post, here's another enlightening interview giving an insight into Rabbi Dov Lipman, his background, and what's motivating him. Again, I have issues with some of his statements here regarding having non-orthodox marriage in Israel in the form of "civil unions"and marriages under orthodox auspices considered "marriage" and regarding the Kotel. I can't get comfortable with that or see how those are truly within halacha. I appreciate the fact that he's trying to find a way to find compromise/consensus on more than just the big issues I'm concerned about like army/sherut l'umi/work/secular education, about which he's talking about going back to being more true to Chazal/ratzon Hashem and has the quiet support of some rabbonim. He's also trying to find agreement on marriage issues where I don't see how you can truly justify the compromises he's suggesting. I get what he's trying to do but addressing all of the major problems and that's admirable but I don't see how he can go so far. If you listen to the interview, he has bases and justifications but I still don't hear it.


[Update 8/1/13]: You can click here to see my follow up comments on this interview and the one linked to above.

Click here to get Dixie Yid in your e-mail Inbox or here to "follow" me on Twitter.

4 comments:

Josef said...

And I'm sorry to say that in this interview you get the sense that Dov is willing to compromise almost any halacha in order to pander to the seeming popular winds of the times. Sound familiar? There was and is a few movements who have tried that already.

It also shows us how Dov's judgment may be very clouded on all the issues he comments on here and elsewhere

Anonymous said...

Everyone Godal in EY is speaking against Dov Lipman - I have sat in the room of big Roshei Yeshivas who said "nebuk, he's being used as a yad of the soton" and you... Dixieyid... can comment: "Again, I have issues with some of his statements..."

What about the gedolim? what about being mvattle to daas torah - why do you give this man a platform??

DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

Please see my comment on the above-linked post.

DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

Please see this follow up post where I expand on some of my thoughts on the issues raised by these interviews.