Sunday, October 24, 2010

Great Video Interview with Shlomo Carelebach - "What is Your Shoresh Neshoma?"

In honor of Reb Shlomo's yohrtzeit, here is a great and very frank interview with Shlomo Carlebach. During the 27 minute interview, he sings "Yehi Shalom B'cheilech" and the famous "Rama's Niggun."

Along the lines of the post I'm putting up tomorrow morning, I wanted to share a key quote from Reb Shlomo. It's from the first of the three parts of this interview (above) from 2:00 to 6:00. Reb Meir asks Reb Shlomo whethether his shoresh neshoma is in learning, teaching, or singing. Reb Shlomo answers the question Reb Shlomo answers the question in several ways, directly and indirectly, over the course of the whole interview.

With a lot of love and a caring smile, Reb Shlomo answered at about the 5:00 mark: "If you ask me something, I can tell you without really bragging too much that my shoresh neshoma is in depth. I cannot stand shallow things. I cannot stand shallow people. I forgive them and I love them but I can't stand them. I can't stand shallow ideas. I cannot stand anything shallow really. It makes me sick. And especially, I've had the privilege of learning by people, Reb Meir will agree with me, those two, the deepest and the sharpest. Reb Shlomo Heiman was awesome deep and Rav Aharon (Kotler) was awesome deep..."

Big thank you to my holy brother from another mother, Eliav Frei for pointing this video out to me. Click here to get Dixie Yid in your e-mail Inbox or here to subscribe in Google Reader.

Please donate to my son's cheder by going to minivanraffle.org to buy a raffle ticket. The drawing for a new minivan, car, or $20,000 cash will be IY"H Chanukah time. $100 for 1 ticket. $360 for 5. Where the form says "Referred by," please write "Dixie Yid." Tizku l'mitzvos!

2 comments:

Moshe David Tokayer said...

Yasher Ko'ach!!

Anonymous said...

It's R' Shlomo "Heiman", not "Heineman".