Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Is It Appropriate for a Professor to Call On Me As "Young Jew!"?


I was sitting in my Real Estate Transactions course the other night (this past week was our first week back). The Professor asked something and I raised my hand to answer the question. The professor pointed at me and called out "Yes, Young Jew, what's the answer?"

I was a bit taken aback by the way he called on me so I hesitated, but before I could begin answering, a Chinese student behind me began answering and the professor didn't object that he'd called on someone else. So I didn't say anthing. After class, another frum guy commented on how funny it was that the guy's first name behind me actually is "Yung Ju"!!! (Though I know I'm not spelling it right) Whodathunkit?!

-Dixie Yid

(Picture courtesy of inmagine)

Click here to get Dixie Yid in your e-mail Inbox.

5 comments:

Akiva said...

Is this a true story????

Unknown said...

That's very funny!

DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

Akiva, yes it really happened. Sounds made up right? So funny. That's why I had to share!

-Dixie Yid

Anonymous said...

That is rediculous!!!! Good think you didn't storm out of the class. A great lesson in dan lekaf zechus.

DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

Anon, It didn't even occur to me to get angry or storm out. Partly, this is because the professor is Jewish. Also, it just struck me as him trying to be silly. He is generally an idiosynchratic person in general. :-)

-Dixie Yid