Monday, April 2, 2012

Nachas Story - "Did you ask Rebbe yet?"

On my wife's initiative, after speaking with our rebbe, Rav Moshe Weinberger (a/k/a "Rebbe"), we began keeping Chlov Yisroel a little less than a year ago. Though it has been challenging in certain small respects for everyone in the family, everyone has accepted it relatively happily except for our nine year old daughter.

A couple of months ago, she began announcing "I don't keep Cholov Yisroel," and also asking me for permission to eat non-Cholov Yisroel things. My wife and I tried explaining that it isn't so hard, that virtually everything out there is available in a Cholov Yisroel version, and that it isn't so hard to avoid the one or two things that aren't available in Cholov Yisroel, etc.

She was having none of it. About a month ago, she began asking for Nestle hot chocolate (which is not Cholov Yisroel) because she didn't like the Cholov Yisroel hot chocolate, and anyway, we didn't always have it. Then, she heard that a friend of hers kept Cholov Yisroel only at home. Thinking that this was a genius of an idea and an ideal middle-ground, she began to ask me frequently if she could do that too. Because she kept asking, I finally told her that I would ask Rebbe if it was okay. After all, I didn't know if this chumra was something that we should push relative to other things.

I began working with her to make hot chocolate from scratch in the mornings, and putting her off when she asked me if I asked Rebbe her question yet. I was hoping that the hot chocolate would diffuse her desire and she would drop it, but no such luck. She continued asking every couple of days, "Did you ask Rebbe yet? Can I stop keeping Cholov Yisroel outside the house?"

Finally, this Shabbos at kiddush, I asked Rebbe her question. After the seuda at home afterward, I told her I had just spoken with Rebbe about her question. She asked me what he said, and I told her that he said she should continue keeping Cholov Yisroel everywhere because it would make her healthier, it is good for her, and it's a very important thing.

Her response: "Okay, good." Period. End of sentence. No protests or complaints at all (which would not be entirely out of character for her). After months of asking and pleading, as soon as she heard what Rebbe said, she accepted it happily and we haven't heard anything else about it.

2 comments:

Shmuel said...

Kol hakavod! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a Chossid your daughter is...