Thursday, December 3, 2009

Why Be Jewish?

Remove any potential distractions for a moment and consider the following quesitons:

1. If I could choose, without fear of punishment, social ostracism, or guilt, to become a non-Jew and therefore no longer be bound to fulfill the mitzvos or avoid (almost) any aveiros, would I do it? If so, proceed to the end.

2. If not... If I could choose to do so, would I choose to be Jewish, but pick which mitzvos I wanted to be obligated to keep, and which ones I no longer wanted to keep, would I do it? If yes, proceed to the end.

3. If not... If I could choose to keep all of the mitzvos in the Torah, but I could elect to no longer be bound to keep just one halacha that I've, perhaps, always wanted to shed, would I do it?

If you or I have to honestly answer "Yes" when considering any of these quesitons, the next question is, "So what now?"

Picture courtesy of mind with thoughts. Click here to get Dixie Yid in your e-mail Inbox or here to subscribe in Google Reader.

2 comments:

Neil Harris said...

Nice. Hopefully sales will go up!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Powerful lead.