Monday, December 8, 2008

Serene Trust in G-d? Or blissfully oblivious?


I have answered a Q&A with A Simple Jew, where he asks me about how to stay happy in life. My problem is that althogh I am generally happy, this is accomplished through indifference. I am not sure to what extent this is a good trait, so I posed that as a question to ASJ's readers. Pleae chime in!

A Simple Jew asks:

The Degel Machaneh Ephraim stressed the importance of constantly thinking happy thoughts by noting that the letters of the word מחשבה (thought) are identical to the phrase בשמחה (in joy). Rebbe Nachman of Breslov taught that being b'simcha is one of the most difficult things, and said, "It is harder than all spiritual tasks."

Have you found that there are times that you must literally force yourself to be happy? To what degree have you focused on this issue of being b'simcha in your avodas Hashem?

Dixie Yid Answers...

-Dixie Yid

(Picture courtesy of filemagazine)

Click here to get Dixie Yid in your e-mail Inbox or here to subscribe in Google Reader.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is directly addressed by Rabbi Tatz in the following shiur (one of my personal favorites) simply entitled "Happiness" :

Direct Download:
http://audio.simpletoremember.com/tatz/Happiness.mp3

Stream:
mms://stream.simpletoremember.com/simpletoremember/tatz/Happiness.mp3

Website:
http://www.simpletoremember.com/audio/Rabbi_Akiva_Tatz.html

Yasher Koach for demonstrating such sensitivity to your inner workings. Kol tuv...

-Gavriel

Kae Gregory said...

This may sound hoakie but if you don't mind, I sure don't. I was raised with absolutely no sense of my Jewishness, just as my mother had been. The last couple of years, and especially the last half year or so have been an amazing period of discovery for me. Even with all of the problems in the world and especially with the problems facing Jewry, discovering this amazing heritage makes me - and keeps me happier than I could have ever hoped to be. (it has also posed its share of interesting challenges)

DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

Gavriel,

Thanks for sharing. I listened to it today and it's definitely worth sharing. IY"H, I'll turn that into a post as well. Thanks

Kae,

It doens't sound hokie to me. I think the famous expression, "ashreinu u'matov chelkeinu" sums up what you are saying. "Fortunate are we and how good is our portion!"

What aspects of your journey making going back to shul difficult and more complex?

-Dixie Yid

Anonymous said...

G-d bless you and yours. i replied to your article at ASJ and you asked about kedar. i live in a muslim country and ASJ knows my background. Hence sometimes i am forced to use shortforms, i believe kedar is the second son of yismael.
referring to m.
thats why i use R instead of the full word for teacher.
its sad but thats how it is. ASJ knows my place of abode, since i dont have your email id, i am writing here. you can ask ASJ. blessings.
PS RDovid Shirel wrote that actually worrying is insulting Hashem. Not every second we are with our kids, while Hashem is every second protecting them and us. Yet we worry. so i could appreciate your not worrying. its a great achievement. a far cry from where i am.

Anarchist Chossid said...

A shiur on the topic of simcha: http://www.insidechassidus.org/life-lessons/24-avoda/242-real-simcha.html