Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Posting (Almost) Live After the Uman Drive by ZEV - Part 2

Being with Rabbeinu Z"L for Rosh Hashanah was Kulo chizuk – In fact, I’d say it was even Magical. The best way I can describe my experience is that in Uman, on Rosh Hashanah, H" Yisbarach is crowned as the King, L'Maaseh, with all the majesty that a group of tens of thousands of Yidden can muster up. From the time that I walked into the Kloiz for selichos Erev Rosh Hashanah (3 am, right off of the plane..) the words "Melech," which are painted on the walls at the front of the Kloiz, served as the humbling intoduction to the soon to be coronation ceremony. Rabbenu's Tzion on Erev Rosh Hashanah was packed, with Yidden from every corner of the world, of every type, pouring out their hearts to the Ribbono Shel Olam, crying, dancing, tearing open the heavens with Tikkun Klali. The energy in Uman, and especially inside by the Tzion, could be felt by everyone there. There were tens of thousands of people there. Inside the Tzion, outside the Tzion, on the streets surrounding the Tzion. Everywhere – davening, crying, confessing in front of the Rebbe. I couldn’t help but to feel the experience deeply.

When I made my way, finally, to the Tzion, and put my head down on Rabbeinu’s matzevah, for the first time, I felt as if he was embracing me. “Rabbeinu, B”H, I’m finally here with you for Rosh HaShanah. – I’m here Rebbe!” One thing I have to say – given the massive number of people there – it was packed, but the Yidden let each other up to the matzevah. I expected to have to fight my way to the front, but it wasn’t like that at all. Everyone there seems to know that everyone else ALSO wants to touch the Rebbe’s kever, and they make it happen, B”H. I was zoche with a few chaverim (B”H, I finally got to spend Rosh HaShanah, by the Rebbe, with REB CHAIM F.!!! – after 4 years of planning it, I finally overcame the meniyos!).

Davening in the Kloiz was probably the most powerful spiritual experience I’ve ever had. I don’t know exactly how many Yidden are in the main shul of the Kloiz – I heard 10,000 with those standing. I had heard about the clapping that goes on my HaMelech, but just couldn’t have imagined the power of that moment. When “HaMelech” is said, everyone there stands up and claps, giving the Master of the World a standing ovation, for at least a minute. The feeling that I experienced at that moment can’t be put into words. It was just so powerful. 10,000 Yidden (or something like that…) clapping for our Father in Heaven. The clap was like a clap of Thunder. It just went through me. I’m not sure I can go through another Rosh HaShanah without that moment (It should be with Moshiach Tzidkeinu, by the Rebuilding of the Beis HaMikdash in the coming year, B’Karov Mamash). The same Clap of Thunder took place at “HaMelech HaKadosh”.

The davening was just so amazing – like I said, Magical. I kept thinking to myself what a zchus it was to be standing there. Such a zchus to be a Ben Melech, clapping for my Father in Heaven. Hameivin Yavin. All throughout Yom Tov, I could hear the Roar coming from the different minyanim – all davening with such intensity. Screaming, clapping, dancing – Lichvod the Melech. And Tashlich … oooooh ahhhh. It was a sea of kittelach surrounding that body of water – a surreal scene of Yidden davening, doing hisbodedus, dancing – a sea of Kedushah.

Taking the charter flight back to Eretz HaKadosh was not my famous part of the trip, BUT after waiting in the airport on endless lines and checkpoints, our holy brethren were having some fun with the baffoon thug Ukrainian soldiers - one precious Yid screams really loud - SCREAMS - to the soldier standing at the head of a line of hundreds of us (the Ukrainian soldiers did their best to make us wait as long as humanly possible before being allowed into various sections of the airport), "Meeeester, Yehi Razon Milfanecha sh'anachnu, bnei malachim, maminim b’nei maminim, yeheyu Moshlim Aleichem B’Karov, BARUCH SHELO ASANI GOY, Meeeeester!!!". The soldier got angry at him, assuming he was being made fun of, and the Yiddele says to him, "MEEEEEEster, I ask you if we can take a peeeecture with you Meeeeester."

Mi K’Amcha Yisroel. I so hope you two Holy Yidden can join the kibbutz next year (in Yerushalayim of course, but if not, then in Uman)!

---Zev

Picture courtesy of Simcha Goldberg. Click here to get Dixie Yid in your e-mail Inbox or here to subscribe in Google Reader.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

one precious Yid screams really loud - SCREAMS - to the soldier standing at the head of a line of hundreds of us.....

are we supposed to be impressed by this? And the value of going to Uman for rosh Hashanah is what, precisely? Tikun Hamidot????

Anonymous said...

Moiradik. Thank you for sharing (screams and all). :-)

DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

Anon 9:46:

Sounds like you missed what the soldiers were doing to the Jews. You must be forgetting these are not American soldiers...

Bob Miller said...

The question is how to make Ukrainian soldiers cooperate, not how to tick them off.